Friday 24 February 2012

Life in a Hot Tin Bemo - Day two


We decided to venture out after breakfast to look for our Flores supplies, snorkels, sunscreen, razor. A little research led us to the market place in Denpasar, which is a multi story building of everything imaginable. Except snorkels, sunscreen and razors. The putrid smell of rotting durian and other fruits along with the humidity has left me less than smiling. In fact, if you can feel a colour, I feel green. We are met by a woman who wants to be our guide around the market place, she asks when my baby is due and instantly I don't like her. After half an hour, I have a lot of trouble coping in a place like this and ask if we can leave. The fish and other smells reminded me of morning sickness - a place I never want to travel to again! 

We left. 

Walking down a road towards where we believed an air-conditioned mall might be (only for some respite from the heat) we walked past several fabric shops that made me smile. Some of the most gorgeous fabrics were staring at me, begging me to buy them. The colours and quality were astounding, it was like looking into a lolly shop window. Silks, laces, cotton, braid of every colour and texture. Heaven on a walkway. I resist purchasing anything, all too aware of our budget and my lack of employment. I'll return when my budget is much kinder to my dreams. 

Directionless, we hire a bemo driver to take us to the Galleria and the department store we think we might be able to buy snorkels. I desperately wanted to avoid this sterile shopping mall (which is in absolute contrast to the market place), but for the sake of getting some snorkel equipment I am willing to walk past the Cartier and Louis Vuitton and pretentious shoppers. I loathe places like this and was grateful when our bemo driver discussed an alternate diving place to visit. After visiting a Dive company and selecting our expensive gear - their machine could not accept my credit card despite trying several times. Fed up and concerned that I had just been fleeced/scammed of over $1000 I requested we leave and return to our hotel. We did. Checked my bank balance and all was ok. It really was the machine and not a scam. 

After a short break in our villa researching the possibilities of hiring the stuff in Flores, a quick dip in the plunge pool, we then ventured out for another walk to Sanur to discover a decent dive shop just around the corner. Snorkels for Tom were purchased. 

A few pairs of long white pants were found along with a few other essentials. 

A banana daiquiri later - and all was well again with the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment